Skip to main content

Friends of the Saskatchewan Archives - Member Stories

From time-to-time this Blog will share stories shared from members of Friends of the Saskatchewan Archives via their "Interim Gopher" Bill Armstrong.

Cheers, 

Cameron

"Greetings, Gopherites. The interim gopher has a mixed bag for you in this missive. First, it's always a positive thing to recognize someone who is finding creative ways to teach the young 'uns, in and out of the classroom, and especially so when it comes to teaching history, which the gopher thinks has a bad reputation in this country. So, read on.. 


Next up, a small newspaper clipping from Allan Miller, who continues to comb through back issues of Ontario newspapers and pass on stories of folks with connections to this province. In this case, the brief article (attached) is a reminder that not all stories of those who came to Saskatchewan are success stories. As we approach winter, this one is a chilling reminder of what can happen.  

Stay well..
-- 

Bill Armstrong

interim gopher

Friends of the Saskatchewan Archives


Regina, Saskatchewan,   

 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiences of an archives intern at the University of Regina Archives and Special Collections

Name : Mason Hausermann Position : Arts Intern, U of R Archives & Special Collections Area of Study : Bachelor of Arts (Major: History, Minor: English) Career Aspirations : I would love to work in archives, libraries or museums once I’ve completed my degree. Why did you want to do an internship at the Archives?   To gain more insight into the heritage field. I was interested to learn more about what goes into the process of collection and digitization, as this is an often-overlooked component. Another aspect that drew me to this internship was the fact that I would be interacting with records and artifacts. I spent last summer as a student at the Doukhobor Heritage Village and really enjoyed this kind of hands-on work so I was glad to have a chance to do more of it. What was your project?  The digitization of Dr. George F. Ledingham's Ornithological study records. They form part of the Dr. George F. Ledingham Herbarium at the U of R’s Faculty of Science. The Herbarium is an

New SCAA president 2024 - 2026

Hello, My name in Nicole Kruppi and I am the new SCAA President. Professionally I have worked most of my career (19 years) in the Records and Information Management field but like to think of myself as a long-suffering Archivist. My career has taken me across Canada. For the past seven years I lived in New Brunswick, Canada, working in the oil and gas industry at Irving Oil. Prior to that I lived in Calgary for nine years and worked for both the Public Service (Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), as well as spending time at TC Energy. Closer to home, which in my mind has been Saskatoon, I worked for the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations in the Specific Claims Archive & Library, and the Saskatchewan Archives Board as both a Records Manager and Project Archivist. Prior to deciding that I wanted to be an Archivist when I grew up, I worked at SaskTel Mobility. I hold a Masters in Archival Studies from the Univer

NAAB Masterclass - Ken Dahl

Ken Dahl of the City of Saskatoon Archives, applied to the SCAA Professional Development fund to attended, in Edmonton March 11-14 , 2019, the "NAAB Masterclass." This is his experience: In 2019, the National Archival Appraisal Board (NAAB), in an attempt to standardize archival appraisals across the country came up with the idea of offering a “Masterclass” to those interested.  Not only is NAAB trying to standardize things, they are also hoping to bring in experienced archivists to become new appraisers and increase the number of practicing appraisers.  In February and March of 2019, NAAB offered three different sessions (of this class) in Fredericton, Edmonton and Ottawa.  I have been doing NAAB appraisals for a number of years now, the last five have been as a practicing NAAB appraiser.  I was the only one at the class who had done any previous appraisals, this appraisal experience was, for the most part, beneficial.   The course itself was very well run, and I f