Skip to main content

Talking About If These Places Could Talk: Snapshots of Saskatchewan by Crista Bradley

 

Talking About If These Places Could Talk: Snapshots of Saskatchewan

Crista Bradley

When I was granted a one-year research sabbatical leave from the University of Regina Archives in July 2019, I was able to move forward with a project that’s been on my mind for several years.  The objective of the sabbatical was to research and write a children's book and companion educator’s guide that would help kids connect with Saskatchewan archives and further develop their understanding of our province’s diverse history. The year was rich and the pace was vigorous as I worked to review the professional literature on youth outreach and archival/historical products designed for children, identify a theme and format for the book, and investigate publishing options.  With support from a SCAA Professional Development Grant, I attended Canada History’s Historical Thinking Summer Institute, to help me frame my approach to packaging historical information for kids.  I also took every opportunity to try to grow my understanding about Truth and Reconciliation to ensure that it informed all aspects of the project.   

As my research progressed, I decided to centre the book on Saskatchewan places.  This seemed to be a useful focal point given the tangible connections that many people have to land, buildings and/or other structures.  I also knew that place would be an understandable concept for children of all ages and a topic that could be well supported by the records found in the archival holdings across the province. I contracted publisher Heather Nickel at YNWP and illustrator Wendi Nordell to help bring the book to life, and was grateful to receive a matching grant from Creative Saskatchewan's Book Publishing Production Program to make the project financially feasible.    


Once all of these pieces of the puzzle came together, the archival research began in earnest.  It was fun to be on the other side of the reference desk, visiting several archives and contacting others by phone and email.  Consulting with people connected to the places was also an important part of the work.  I’m so thankful to all of the strangers who answered my out-of-the-blue calls and questions with warmth and interest.  Short-listing visuals for the book was no small task as I tried to find photos that would engage children, reflect the diversity of Saskatchewan’s people and places, and showcase the collections of as many archives in the province as possible.  In instances where there were gaps in the archival record, Wendi’s artwork and materials from museum, library and private collections were used to help diversify the book’s content.  In the end, just over 100 historic and contemporary images made it into the final publication.      

When my sabbatical ended in July 2020, daytime demands meant that final photo citations, discussion of design options and copyright permissions became a late night enterprise.  It was a big day when two pallets of the finished product, a 48 page hardcover book called If These Places Could Talk: Snapshots of Saskatchewan, arrived from Friesens Printers in late November 2020.   

  


In the months since publication, I’ve been engaged with the new challenge of getting the book “out there” in a pandemic.  YNWP listed the title with its established network of stores and online sellers and my house was transformed into a late-night marketing and shipping depot as I approached additional stores, set up a website to coordinate direct sales, and figured out the best way to pack and ship books. After many cold calls, gravel roads and detoured family camping trips, the book is now available in several gift, book, toy shops around the province.  I’ve met some lovely people throughout this part of the process, and am grateful to every small business, fundraiser and the friends-of-friends who have helped me with distribution.  It’s been nice to receive feedback on the book from children and their parents and teachers, and a happy surprise to hear that seniors are also enjoying it.  I’ve also had the opportunity to do a number of classroom and community presentations and was honoured that the book was a featured title during Saskatchewan Book Week 2021, and more recently for a program of the La Ronge Literacy Hub. 

Thanks to all of the SCAA members who supported and encouraged this project along the way.  Your suggestions, collections and expertise have been appreciated beyond measure.  I hope that as the book makes its way into classrooms, homes and libraries around the province, it helps to raise awareness and support for the important work that our small but mighty archival community does.  Thank you


If These Places Could Talk SaskBooks Review - https://reviews.skbooks.com/if-these-places-could-talk/

If These Places Could Talk Facebook page - @sasksnapshots

If These Places Could Talk webpage & free educator’s guide - www.sasksnapshots.ca   


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiences of an archives intern at the University of Regina Archives and Special Collections

Name : Mason Hausermann Position : Arts Intern, U of R Archives & Special Collections Area of Study : Bachelor of Arts (Major: History, Minor: English) Career Aspirations : I would love to work in archives, libraries or museums once I’ve completed my degree. Why did you want to do an internship at the Archives?   To gain more insight into the heritage field. I was interested to learn more about what goes into the process of collection and digitization, as this is an often-overlooked component. Another aspect that drew me to this internship was the fact that I would be interacting with records and artifacts. I spent last summer as a student at the Doukhobor Heritage Village and really enjoyed this kind of hands-on work so I was glad to have a chance to do more of it. What was your project?  The digitization of Dr. George F. Ledingham's Ornithological study records. They form part of the Dr. George F. Ledingham Herbarium at the U of R’s Faculty of Science. The Herbarium is an

New SCAA president 2024 - 2026

Hello, My name in Nicole Kruppi and I am the new SCAA President. Professionally I have worked most of my career (19 years) in the Records and Information Management field but like to think of myself as a long-suffering Archivist. My career has taken me across Canada. For the past seven years I lived in New Brunswick, Canada, working in the oil and gas industry at Irving Oil. Prior to that I lived in Calgary for nine years and worked for both the Public Service (Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) and Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), as well as spending time at TC Energy. Closer to home, which in my mind has been Saskatoon, I worked for the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations in the Specific Claims Archive & Library, and the Saskatchewan Archives Board as both a Records Manager and Project Archivist. Prior to deciding that I wanted to be an Archivist when I grew up, I worked at SaskTel Mobility. I hold a Masters in Archival Studies from the Univer

NAAB Masterclass - Ken Dahl

Ken Dahl of the City of Saskatoon Archives, applied to the SCAA Professional Development fund to attended, in Edmonton March 11-14 , 2019, the "NAAB Masterclass." This is his experience: In 2019, the National Archival Appraisal Board (NAAB), in an attempt to standardize archival appraisals across the country came up with the idea of offering a “Masterclass” to those interested.  Not only is NAAB trying to standardize things, they are also hoping to bring in experienced archivists to become new appraisers and increase the number of practicing appraisers.  In February and March of 2019, NAAB offered three different sessions (of this class) in Fredericton, Edmonton and Ottawa.  I have been doing NAAB appraisals for a number of years now, the last five have been as a practicing NAAB appraiser.  I was the only one at the class who had done any previous appraisals, this appraisal experience was, for the most part, beneficial.   The course itself was very well run, and I f